Website Balance, Inc
Purpose: To provide outstanding direct support to individuals served by Balance, Inc. in the community and in their homes. Supports include personal care, companionship, leisure/ entertainment support, meal preparation and assistance, medication and health assistance and reminders, dressing, grooming and personal hygiene, shopping, transportation, and other assistance within the home.
Job Duties and Responsibilities: Direct support professionals are the key to providing a comfortable, supportive home environment for the people we support. You will work in their home and in community activities encouraging personal growth and community inclusion. DSP’s are involved in developing positive support plans and implementing those plans in their daily responsibilities. DSP’s will follow the work schedule and requirements developed by the home Coordinator and Residential Services Director, while providing excellent care and support consistent with the mission of Balance, Inc.
Direct Support professionals will:
- Work to help the people Balance supports create and maintain a living environment that encourages people to be a part of the community in which they live.
- Help individuals with developmental disabilities develop the personal care, activities of daily living, communication and relationship skills they need to be valued by other people.
- Act as a role model in all activities and participate in events with the people being supported including eating with them at mealtime.
- Tell the story of the quality services you deliver by completing all documentation associated with the program including but not limited to progress notes, data collection, incident reports, medication documentation, time sheets, and other required documents.
- Maintain a high degree of honesty and integrity at all times.
- Transport people as needed and outlined in the individual’s plan using person and/or Balance vehicles.
- Acquire and maintain all required and needed training to properly serve those we support.
- Perform all aspects of job safely and using good judgment.
- Maintain privacy and confidentiality of all individuals, families and employees and comply with all Balance, state and federal privacy laws.
- Work to increase knowledge and skills in areas relevant to position and the people we support.
- Communicate openly and respectfully with the people we support, co-workers, supervisors and members of the community.
- Represent Balance well in all aspects of manner, dress, communication and actions.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Believe in and be committed to the values of Balance and supporting community inclusion for people with developmental disabilities.
- Show an interest in people, desire to engage with them, and sensitivity to their needs and desires.
- Possess excellent decision making skills.
- Have the ability to bend, stoop, reach, lift up to 50 pounds to provide services described above.
- Demonstrate good written and verbal communication skills, patience and willingness to advocate as needed for the individuals being supported.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
- Complete a background disclosure form and meet all requirements to pass criminal background checks.
- Pass initial drug screen and maintain a drug-free lifestyle.